Friday, October 17, 2008

Baby Surprise Jacket



I have a few friends having babies or recently had babies, so I am in a bit of a gift knitting kick. Last night, I put the finishing touches on a Baby Surprise Jacket designed by the late Elizabeth Zimmerman. She was a true knitting engineer and her genius, simple, classic knits live on. I recommend her books for knitters of all levels as she has a clever way of knitting that stretches your abilities and never fails to teach you something new. I am currently working through the Knitters Almanac and have learned so much already!



Now about the yarns I used...I love Araucania yarns for the warm colors and the fact that they are hand dyed. I picked up 1 skein of Pehuen last Spring, not knowing what I would do with it. I just loved the colors and nubbliness! But after, I had some buyers remorse as I wondered what on earth would I make with ONE skein of yarn! I pulled it out this past weekend as I was reorganizing and found some other leftover cottons that matched well. So, to the Pehuen, I added some Elann Sonata in Orchid and Rosetta. I used all of it and had to really fudge things at the end to finish up....I also used a special set of vintage buttons that my mom had bought in the '80's. So, here we have a little 100% cotton sweater for a special babe :D

3 comments:

  1. It's lovely! And I do like the button loops ~ a very sweet modification!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this jacket. The colors are perfect! One day I hope to be able to make something like this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much! I love the Baby Surprise Jackets; they are so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...