Sunday, January 4, 2009

Seamless Viney Leaf


The first time I saw this pattern, I knew that I would knit it. But, I waited many months before starting as tons of reverse stocking stitch and then stitching in those sleeves would not be fun. So, I thought alot about what I wanted to do. I started about a month and a half ago and finished a week ago. I love it! I knit the whole thing in the round, then the sleeves and attached at the armpits. I knit both sleeves and body together, decreasing where needed to give the illusion of a set-in sleeve. It worked! No seaming!!! Yay! The pattern is from Phildar #460 and the yarn is Elann's Superwash Bamboo in Claret. The yarn was discounted as the dyes weren't even so it has a hand dyed look to it, which I like. I do wear a tnk top underneath and it is mildly itchy to my arms, but not bad. I do have a fairly high tolerance for wool though. I did lengthen the hem to 5cm instead of 1.5cm. I think I could have gone a bit longer there. All in all, an easy knit, nice viney leaf to add some interest and break up all that purling and a great fit. I am wearing it today as a matter of fact!




 

I started a new sweater for The Man and it is coming along, but a little slow as I haven't had much knitting time lately. It is a really soft wool from Needful Yarns, London Tweed in the Cherry colorway. I told him this was my last try to knit him such a sweater and if it
was still too itchy then that is it! lol!

I have also knit two more Thorpe hats for my friend Tara's two boys, but will save the pics until she has them :D

10 comments:

  1. I love it! I'd love to learn how to do that leaf design, it's amazing.
    Didn't know you were a half-newfie too. Which side of your family? Do you know where on the island? I love the island. It has a definite feeling of home to me. Of course, living in the smoggiest province in Canada is an excellent foil for the Rock with it's clean air and endless trees, but there's still a certain something about it that I haven't found anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What in the world!!! I would've never thought a knitted sweater could be so sexy!!! That's really REALLY awesome! You look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both :)

    Two Hands, My mom was born in St.Johns and immigrated to Canada when she was 10 months old. I have never been, but would love to go one day!

    Angel, you are so sweet; thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sweater turned out lovely. I really like the leaf design. I've been working on cabling lately and like the challenge of something with texture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful sweater for a beautiful woman--inside and out. You have been rewarded for your hard work.

    I'll tell you when I get the hats. :-)

    Now, grab your bible, b/c there is some scripture that fits your story with this sweater:
    Prov. 22:29; 12:24; 10:4

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Tara and Pretentious wombat! Tara, those scriptures are great! I wonder if they will come true?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! You did such a good job, it is just lovely. I really really want to make one from this lovely green bamboo I have, but I can't seem to find the pattern anywhere. Where did you find yours, any ideas where I might get one? I looked on the Phildar website, but they don't stock the Hiver 460 issue, they go back to Spring 464... :( I'll check back to see your comments...

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOhhhhh my god!!!!! I love this pattern!!!! isn't it the phildar's pattern???? Do you have it? the french magazine??? I'd really want this model : I contected all the phildar's shops in my region but they don't sell the old magazines anymore! I'm sooo sad!!!!! I know that it is not very correctly to ask, but if you have it can you send me an email please??? I understand if you don't! In any cases yours is WONDERFUL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Leo!
    Unfortunately, I can't send a copy. Have you checked ebay? Interweave had a very similar sweater published in Winter 2008 called "Climbing Vines Pullover". Elann.com might have the Interweave issue. Happy Knitting!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...